Canton is a neighborhood in Baltimore, Maryland, United States. The neighborhood is along Baltimore’s outer harbor in the southeastern section of the city, roughly two miles east of Baltimore’s downtown district and next to or near the neighborhoods of Patterson Park, Fells Point, Highlandtown, and Greektown. Canton’s traditional center is O’Donnell Square, a park bordered on the north and south by O’Donnell Street, to the east by South Potomac Street, and to the west by Linwood Avenue. O’Donnell Square is home to several bars and restaurants, an art gallery, a coffee shop and a number of other businesses and residences, as well as a former fire station. In the 2000s, developments have added focus areas to the neighborhood, including the Canton Waterfront Park and Maryland Korean War Memorial, the rehabilitated American Can Company building, two marinas and a public boat launch, the DuBurns Soccer Arena, and new bars and restaurants.
During the early 20th century, European immigrants settled in the area. Welsh immigrants, primarily workers from South Wales, began settling in Baltimore in large numbers beginning in the 1820s. Welsh and Irish migrant workers composed a large portion of Baltimore’s working class during the early and mid-1800s. In 1850, a large community of copper workers from Wales settled in the neighborhood. These workers established a Presbyterian church in 1865, located on Toone Street in Canton. Other groups included German and Poles.
Most houses in Canton are turn-of-the-20th-century two- to three-story rowhouses. Some of the homes closer to the water date from the Civil War. New townhouses have been built at Canton Square and the Anchorage, as well as on empty lots throughout the neighborhood. There are also waterfront apartments and condominiums in rehabilitated industrial buildings.